GALLATIN — Ben Ogan stepped to the free throw line and calmly sank two free throws in overtime to put the Bison up by four, 53-49, with only a few seconds remaining.

The free throws would be the final points scored Tuesday night at Station Camp High School as the host Bison bested District 9-AAAA foe Cookeville.

The non-league game pushes Station Camp to 2-3 overall and drops the Cavaliers to 2-4. These two teams will not meet again unless it is in the Region 5-AAAA Tournament in February.

The win over Cookeville did not come without adversity.

Tied at 24 following the first 16 minutes, Station Camp outscored their counterparts by seven in the third frame, 13-6, for a 37-30 lead.

Their lead would not last, however.

Up 37-33, Cookeville’s DJ Potts Heard stole a ball at mid-court before racing to the other end for the slam and erasing all Station Camp momentum.

An Alex Clark 3-pointer on their next possession gave Cookeville their first lead since the second quarter, but the Bison always found a way to battle back.

From the four minute mark of the fourth quarter through the end of regulation, the two teams traded basket-for-basket until a four-point Station Camp lead with less than a minute remaining had those in maroon and silver excited for their second win of the year.

However, a Josh Heard layup followed by two free throws with only 3.3 seconds left pushed the game into overtime, tied at 46-46.

With all the momentum, Cookeville opened the four minute extra period with a 3-pointer for the 49-46 advantage; it would be their last of the night.

“You learn something about your team in games like this,” Station Camp head coach Seth Massey said. “We were in a good position, lost our lead, had to fight to get back, reset, then we are down three in overtime. If nothing else, I love the way these guys fight and compete. They are playing hard, together, and I’m just happy we made some plays down the stretch to win.”

Grady Parsons tied the game at 49 all taking a steal coast-to-coast for the layup with 1:25 remaining in the contest.

With possession and the game tied at 49, Station Camp missed an open look at the basket, but Nate Meadows rose, grabbed the rebound with both hands, turned, and put the ball off the glass for the 51-49 lead with only 30 seconds remaining.

Cookeville had two chances late but came away with nothing, as a foul on Ben Ogan sent No. 2 to the free throw line, where he sank both shots.

“I hope they get a little confidence from this win,” Massey said. “We’ve gotten better every day, every game, but win or lose tonight; I was proud of they fought and played.

“These guys are having fun,” he continued. “Yeah, we dropped some tough ones early, but they are learning, growing, and it’s been kind of fun to start fresh. For these guys to gut it out tonight shows some toughness.”

The Bison will play their next two games at home as Springfield (12/3), and Clarksville (12/7) come to the East Bank for non-league action.

Lady Bison fall to 1-3 with Cookeville loss

Tuesday night started out hot for the host Lady Bison, jumping out to a 7-0 lead over visiting Cookeville High School in the first quarter.

However, Station Camp could not maintain their level of play and shooting as they fell to the Lady Cavaliers 73-51 in non-league action.

Anu Richards paced the Lady Bison with 12 points while two others scored in double figures — Marisa Wirtz (11), Taniya Petway (10). Still, hot shooting from Cookeville mixed in with a dominating rebounding performance never allowed Station Camp to feel in the game.

Trailing 10-8 after the first quarter, Cookeville put on more steam in the second frame, outscoring the host Lady Bison 22-8 — they never recovered.

Despite an 18-18 split after halftime, Cookeville managed to control the fourth quarter as a 25-15 advantage was all she wrote for Kendra Jackson’s team.

Station Camp is back in action against Springfield and Clarksville for non-league action Friday and Tuesday, December 7.