Green Wave football

Gallatin's Isaiah Briscoe, left, and Terriyonta Staten kneel on the field after Friday night's defeat to Summit.

Gallatin – Gallatin is still searching for their first playoff victory since 2013. 

The Summit Spartans fought off turnovers and penalties and came away with a 27-14 win over the Gallatin Green Wave on Friday night at Calvin Short Field.

The game was delayed over an hour due to travel issues the Spartans faced on the way to the stadium, but that didn’t keep them from upsetting the Green Wave on a cold night.

Despite the loss, Gallatin Head Coach Chad Watson raved about his team’s effort on the season while crediting the opponents on the field.

“I’m just proud of our guys and the way they fought and did everything that was asked of them this year,” Coach Watson said. “I don’t want to take anything away from Summit, because they earned it and will be a tough out for anyone in the playoffs.”

Summit rode quarterback Destin Wade’s effort on the ground as he rushed for 137 yards on 18 carries and a touchdown. Wade was part of a ground game that chewed up 344 yards on the night.

The Spartan defense also held Gallatin running back and Mr. Football Finalist Spencer Briggs in check for most of the night, although Briggs did score both Gallatin touchdowns on the night.

Summit jumped out to a 6-0 lead on a 1-yard plunge by Keaten Wade, following a Briggs fumble.

“We just didn’t get the breaks tonight,” Watson said. “We hurt ourselves a few times, but our kids never stopped fighting until the end.”

Jakalean Cotton ripped off a 60-yard run to set up the Spartan’s next score, a Destin Wade 6-yard touchdown scamper, making the score 13-0.

Gallatin responded by forcing and recovering a fumble of their own, setting up shop deep in Spartan territory. On the very next play, Briggs ran in a 21-yard touchdown, cutting the deficit to 13-7 just before halftime.

Wade got it done with his arm midway through the third quarter, finding George Odimegwu for a 27-yard scoring strike, and increasing the Summit lead to 20-7.

Keaten Wade ran in his second touchdown of the night on the following Spartan possession. His 14-yard score gave Summit their largest lead of the night at 27-7.

Gallatin fought back on the next drive as Isaiah Briscoe found Briggs for a 22-yard touchdown, cutting the deficit back down to 13 at 27-14. The Green Wave then recovered an onside kick early in the fourth and quickly drove to the Summit 18-yard line, but the drive stalled.

From there Summit milked away most of the remaining clock, salting away the win.

Gallatin’s season ends with a record of 9-2, a 4-win improvement from last season’s showing.

“It’s all about the kids; they were the ones doing everything this year,” Watson said. “My coaching staff is awesome so I’m just proud of them and the players for what they have put into this season.”

Recommended for you