Station Camp soccer

Station Camp coach, Jeremy Cook (right) leads the victory celebration after his Bison beat Ravenwood on Saturday.

The dream remains alive for the Station Camp Bison soccer team after beating Ravenwood 3-1 in the sectional game Saturday at home to earn a ticket to the state tournament and a chance to win an unprecedented third state championship in a row.

After winning back-to-back state championships, there might have been a chance of the team being complacent, Station Camp coach Jeremy Cooke said.

“We’re looking for how we can do better than that,” he said. “That’s to win three in a row. We’ve got to get healthy. We’ll take a day off and get back after it on Monday. We’ll have to see who we draw in the state tournament.”

Senior Josh Street, who scored the game-winner against Ravenwood, said he believes the Bison’s experience the last two years will help them prepare for the state tournament.

“Now it’s just one game at a time,” Street said. “We know what it’s going to be like.”

Once again, Station Camp came from behind to advance in the post-season, falling behind 1-0 to Ravenwood and then scoring three unanswered goals.

“This is what we’ve been doing the whole postseason,” said Cooke, whose team came from behind to win the district championship, the regional championship, and on Saturday, the sectional match.

“These guys know how to play with their backs against the wall,” Cooke said. “I’m really proud of them.”

Station Camp opened the game with several scoring chances, but couldn’t find the back of the net.

“We created all the chances in the world, we just couldn’t finish them,” Cooke said. “We knew eventually they were going to go in.”

But it was Ravenwood that scored first when Travis Born knocked home a cross from Zak Cvercko with 26:35 left in the first half.

The Raptors seemed to seize the momentum with the goal, but Station Camp got it back when junior Noah Blackwell scored to tie the score with 9:28 left in the first half.

Donovan Smith started the play with a corner kick that Justin Sarduy flicked behind him to a waiting Blackwell, who buried the shot. The first half ended with the score tied 1-1.

Station Camp didn’t make any changes in their approach for the second half, Cooke said, stating he was confident in his team.

Street proved him right when he gave the Bison the lead with 32:28 left in the second half. Street took a pass from midfielder Riley Indermuehle, dribbled to the left of the goalie box and put the ball into the back of the net.

“Riley played the ball to my feet,” Street said. “I turned and saw so much space and I kept running.”

Station Camp added to its lead with 24:44 left in the game when Jack Hanning headed a cross from Smith past the goalie to give the Bison a 3-1 lead.

As the Bison head to the state tournament, they need to keep doing what they’ve done all season.

“Stick to the game plan,” Street said of the game plan going forward. “Trust in the game plan, trust in our depth. I think we can get it done.”

Recommended for you